The Bertha BRITDOC Fund for Journalism is an international film fund dedicated to supporting long form feature documentaries of a journalistic nature.
This is a rolling application fund. We aim to respond to applicants within 8 weeks.
We are looking for films that break the important stories of our time, expose injustice, bring attention to unreported issues and cameras into regions previously unseen.
This fund recognises such films are often delicate and protracted, making them difficult to fund. With a mission to enable in-depth analysis of issues through long-form investigative filmmaking, we are particularly looking to work with filmmakers with a journalistic background or those who are collaborating with journalists.
It is key that the journalistic intent is embedded within the film itself rather than the film simply being about a journalist or journalistic institution.
If your project is highly sensitive and you would like to submit a more secure proposal, please contact Luke Moody either via initial contact: firstname.lastname@example.org or using the public key associated with that email. For some guidance regarding PGP email see: http://bit.ly/1BpYQg0
Since 2011 we have supported over 30 projects including Oscar and BAFTA winning CITIZENFOUR and Oscar nominees Virunga, The Square and Dirty Wars. Recent grantees can be found in our Bertha BRITDOC Journalism Fund directory.
Elements we can support:
Terms and Conditions: Please download and review terms and conditions, including a sample contract by clicking the button on the right side of this page.
- In-depth research & investigative development
- Production funding for longitudinal investigations
- BRITDOC offers editorial support for grantees should the filmmaker require this
- Hostile Environment Training
- Emergency transportation
- Legal Advice during production and post production
- Legal advice for complex E&O policies
What we DON’T fund:
- 30 minute or 1 hour productions intended solely for broadcast
- Current Affairs
- Fiction films
Other things to bear in mind:
- This is a rolling fund
- We will be supporting feature length documentary films 65mins+ in length
- Grants from £5,000 to £50,000 are available
- Funding decisions will be made within 8 weeks of application, unless your project is an urgent response to events
- We are unlikely to fully fund a film so it must have international co-financing potential.
- We don’t fund retrospectively